Dangers of DIY Braces
Many DIY projects truly are money saving tricks-of-the-trade, but dentistry and orthodontics should not be taken on in a “do-it-yourself” manner. As specialists, orthodontists are trained to monitor and diagnose the optimum treatment plan for you as their patient.
We feel that everyone deserves a beautiful smile and, until now, the expense of that beautiful smile was believed to be too high and out of reach for many. The insecurities that we have seen fade away through creating countless confident smiles are well worth seeing a specialist and being treated by one.
The DIY tooth movement is a slippery slope full of pitfalls. Here are some of the problems that could develop:
- If you move your teeth too fast you can cause root resorption. This is where the root length of your teeth gets shorter, which can cause irreparable damage your teeth.
- Uncontrolled tooth movement can cause gum disease issues, that is the #1 cause of tooth loss in adults.
- Even though the teeth may look straight, if they do not fit together correctly with the opposing jaw and teeth they will never be stable and straight long term. So, instead of closing those gaps between your teeth you can actually create more gaps making matters far worse.
- Placing foreign objects in your mouth can cause infection. When left untreated, this infection could then travel to your jaw bone and cause serious health issues.
- Damaging your teeth, gums and smile in this way can also generate a level of emotional trauma.
- Once the damage is done, the path to comfort is an expensive and long journey.
“There are real consequences when tooth movement is performed in a way that is not physiologic, consistent with normal function. With these at home methods, you take the risk of shortening the roots on your teeth, developing gum disease and a smile that won’t stay straight until the end of the week.” – Dr. Bryan Hiller
When dealing with your body, we prefer you trust an expert who has training and experience in tooth movement…an orthodontist. At Westrock Orthodontics, we create custom treatment plans, giving our patients the best care possible.