6 Steps for Making Treatment a Breeze
Written by: Dr. Brittany Curry
In our office, we get a lot of questions about pain, especially our new patients. Pain is certainly not uncommon when adjusting to having braces or getting new wires. For this reason, it’s important to know these quick tips to make your treatment a breeze!
- Take Tylenol or Ibuprofen a few hours before you come in for your first appointment and for each wire change appointment. This will help reduce the soreness many patients feel about 3-4 hours after their adjustment appointments.
- For about 48 hours after your appointment, alternate between Tylenol and Ibuprofen every 3-6 hours. Of course, be mindful of maximum daily doses for each.
- Fun fact: our wires are activated by your body heat. So, at the beginning of treatment, you can drink cold drinks or eat ice cream to relieve some of the wire pressure.
- Chew sugar-free gum to help relieve soreness in your mouth. It’s like a massage for your mouth!
- Make sure to stick to a soft diet (no chewy, crunchy or hard food) both for soreness and to avoid breaking brackets. The glue we use is meant to be temporary so that braces can be removed at the end of treatment. Broken brackets are not uncommon so don’t worry, just let us know before your appointment!
Try to stay away from sugary drinks and foods to avoid white spots and cavities!
Our Do Not Eat Menu is a handy reminder of what foods to avoid while wearing braces. Just remember, if you are experiencing any unusual soreness or swelling, please give our office a call and let us know. Our patients are our #1 priority and we want you to have the most comfortable experience possible! See you soon!